5. Marlins sea creature race. The Miami Marlins won’t go 0-162 this season. Hooray. The Marlins kicked off their 2014 season with a 10-1 win over the Colorado Rockies and a bizarre sea creature race around the field.
4. Bryce Harper tangles with rogue beach ball. Opening day didn’t prove to be all that much fun for the Washington Nationals outfielder. Harper does have a great arm, but tossing beach balls are just not his thing.
3. Jose Fernandez’s fam has a laugh. NL Rookie of the Year Jose Fernandez threw 6-innings of one run ball with nine strikeouts in Miami’s win over the Rockies. However, his mom and grandma had to laugh when Jose stepped to the plate.
2. Harper takes foot to the face. It was a tough day all-around for Bryce. Harper got kicked in the head, but was able to stay in game. While Harper lived through this incident it may be time to wrap the kid in bubble wrap.
Following the game, Harper said: “I will keep playing this game hard … even if it kills me.”
1. Cubs catcher takes one for the team. Chicago backstop Welington Castillo had a rough start to the season. He went 0-2 with a couple strikeouts, the Cubs lost on a walk-off homer and he spent the rest of the night sitting in a bucket of ice.
Follow The Guru on Twitter